All first-time MWCC students must take the College Placement Test. The results will help students to choose appropriately when registering for classes.
Steps to the College Placement Test. . .
- Prepare for the Test
- Take the Test
- Attend a SMART Start Event
About the College Placement Test
The College Placement Test is delivered by computer using Accuplacer, a series of placement tests provided by College Board.
The test is divided into five sections:
- Sentence Skills
- Algebra (Students with a high enough score will advance to a sixth section, College-Level Math)
Please make note of the following:
- The Essay has a 50 minute time limit, all other sections are not timed
- You must answer every question when it is first given, and may not skip any questions or go back later to change an answer
- Pencils and scrap paper are provided
- The test provides a calculator for some math problems (You may not use your own calculator)
Visit the When You Can Test page for available dates, times and instructions.
Students should review study materials prior to testing. Download the FREE Accuplacer web-based study app which includes the following features:
- Sample Tests that help you experience the types of questions to be asked on test day
- “Learn As You Go” feature that provides immediate feedback after each question is submitted and includes an explanation for the correct response
- Save your work-in-progress and resume practicing at a later time
- Review your score history to identify areas of strength and weakness
- 6 months of access
Download our practice handouts
|Essay Study Guide||Reading Study Guide||Sentence Skills Study Guide||Arithmetic Study Guide||Algebra Study Guide|
Study materials for College-Level Math are included on the College Board’s Accuplacer study guide and web app.
After you have completed the CPT, register for a mandatory SMART Start event.
Requesting Scores from MWCC
- Complete and sign the College Placement Test Score Request Form
- Scan and send an email from your MWCC account to email@example.com
- OR fax to 978-630-9278
Test scores will not be given to anyone other than the actual test taker without written consent from the test taker. Other than the actual test taker, only designees listed on their FERPA (Family Educational Right to Privacy Act) waiver form are able to request test scores. If you have not completed a form and would like to, or want to make changes, contact the Records office at 978-630-9106.
Sending Scores to MWCC from Another School
If you took Accuplacer at a different school and need to provide them to MWCC, you must contact the other school to request the score report be sent directly to Testing Services at MWCC by fax: 978-630-9278 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Scores are not valid if more than 3 years old and should be discussed with an Advisor.
An Advisor may recommend that you retest for a higher score in one or more sections. Do not retest before speaking with Advising about eligibility (call 978-630-9109).
- Scores are valid for three years
- Same day retests are not allowed
- There is a $10 retest fee
Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
To request reasonable accommodations for testing, please contact Student Services at 978-630-9855 prior to scheduling the test.
MWCC may use your test results for data collection and statistical analysis related to research. Your name will not be included in any research activity.